Greenwith Primary school has a Defence School Mentor (DSM) to provide support to our Defence students.
Defence School Mentors are funded by the Department of Defence through DCO (Defence Community Organisation)
Our DSM is Deb Thompson.
Deb’s role within the school is to make the transition for you and your child/children as smooth as possible. To provide assistance to ADF children and families particularly during a parental absence due to deployment exercise or training, and to assist you with any concerns you may have about their educational, emotional or social needs.
The DSM role:
- Being a contact for ADF parents and children new to the school and its community. Assisting with information prior to arriving at the school.
- Assisting the children and the family to quickly develop a sense of belonging in the school community by holding Welcome and End of Year functions, Afternoon Teas for Defence Spouses and lunchtime activities for the children.
- Encouraging children in their day to day friendships.
- Is a liaison between parents, teachers, children and the school.
- Provide support for children whose parent is absent from home due to service requirements.
- Assist where possible with families posted away from our school.
- Inform families of the Education Assistance Scheme (EAS)
- Link to Defence Community Organisation (DCO)
- Enhancing the relationship between the school and their Defence Community.
- Help the school commemorate special events such as ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day
Deb is available at the school Monday to Friday and can be contacted by phoning the school on 8289 8100 or email email@example.com with any enquiries.
We trust your child will benefit from their time here and that you can enjoy a positive and productive partnership with the school.